Proportion is one of the most important elements of fashion, is the combination of the size (width and length) of all components in a way that creates harmony between them.
How do we do that?
It is important to consider the balance between the upper and lower body, the harmonious proportion is obtained by combining the bottom and top.
- Height – is given to us through the hems of the different parts:
- Short top with long bottom (1/3 to 2/3)
- Short bottom with long top (1/3 to 2/3)
- Try to avoid combinations that divide you in a half – Long top with long bottom or short top with short bottom (1/2 to 1/2)
- Width – Is given us through the volume versus tight of the clothes. The outline of the body need to be balanced, with the combination of these two factors at the top and bottom is possible establish proportional harmony.
- Voluminous top to slim bottom
- Voluminous bottom to slim top
- Try to avoid the combination of wide clothing from head to toe.
- Try to avoid use tight top and bottom the result is not elegant.
If you want to use an outfit that results too tight to the body, one solution is add volume through a third piece of clothing, such as a shawl, a pashmina, a cardigan or a vest.
Photo by: Vera & NeONBRAND